What do you prefer best? Transfer functions or state space?
I know there is a lot of question who get the anser "None of them are best. They complementing each other".
But in control theory, I cannot find any way that a transfer function solves the problem better that a state space model.
If I list all the adventages and disadventages for transfer functions:
- Adventage: Easy to use for small systems.
- Adventage: Easy to estimate from data.
- Adventage: Good for analysing frequency response.
- Disadventage: Not for complex system.
- Disadventage: Only for SISO systems
- Disadventage: Cannot combine kalmanfilter with PID
List all the adventages and disadventages for state space models:
- Adventage: Perfect for complex systems and small systems.
- Adventage: For both SISO and MIMO systems.
- Adventage: Can use kalmanfilters
- Adventage: Can use PID
- Adventage: Written on first grade ODE's - Perfect for analysis
- Adventage: Working in time plane
- Disadventage: Requires numerical simulation - Can be complex