Sorry if this is noob-ish, but I was doing some really basic analysis between two data-sets and saw this was used as a way to calculate a sort of "normalized difference" (deviation?) between the old and new values. Again, my apologies for not using the mathematically correct terminology.

In Excel (because that's where I found it), using cells A1 and B1 for example, it's ABS(A1-B1)/MAX(A1,B1). In WolframAlpha it's Abs[x - y]/Max[x, y]. Formally:


Is there a name/precedent for this, maybe in the realm of statistics or analytics, or is it just something the guy before me made up?


This is a specific case of relative difference.

| cite | improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Awesome, thank you sir! $\endgroup$ – NateJ Jun 13 '17 at 23:17
  • $\begingroup$ Glad to help.${}$ $\endgroup$ – Jorge Fernández Hidalgo Jun 13 '17 at 23:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.