Suppose I have $n$ functions namely $f_1,...,f_n$. If I want to sum them then I could use Sigma $\Sigma$, if I want to multiply them, I could use capital Pi $\Pi$. But what if I want to compose all of them? Is there a known notation convention for something like this: $$\circ{}_{i=1}^n f_i$$

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Sincw composition isn't conmutative, I'd just use $f_1\circ \ldots\circ f_n $ to avoid potential confusion. $\endgroup$ – Mark S. May 11 '17 at 10:42
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I don't think there is an established notation for this. In particular, you'd have to disambiguate whether you mean $f_1\circ \ldots\circ f_n$ or $f_n\circ \ldots\circ f_1$ $\endgroup$ – Hagen von Eitzen May 11 '17 at 10:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.