I want to find a function $f:[0,1] \to [0,1]$ such that $f$ takes on each value in $[0,1]$ exactly twice. I think this means there are an infinite number of discontinuities. Can anyone help me figure this one out?

Anyone have any pointers?

  • 7
    $\begingroup$ That is actually a pretty cool problem. $\endgroup$ – Michael Greinecker Nov 1 '12 at 23:17
  • 10
    $\begingroup$ See Jo Heath, "Every exactly 2-to-1 function on the reals has an infinite number of discontinuities", Proceedings of the AMS, 98 (1986), 369-373 ams.org/journals/proc/1986-098-02/S0002-9939-1986-0854049-8/… $\endgroup$ – Robert Israel Nov 1 '12 at 23:23
  • 5
    $\begingroup$ Wouldn't a rather natural solution be to split the unit interval into a closed and a half-open interval and to construct bijections for each? $\endgroup$ – EuYu Nov 1 '12 at 23:28
  • $\begingroup$ @wj32 I am not sure exactly what function that could be though $\endgroup$ – Jackson Hart Nov 2 '12 at 2:30
  • 6
    $\begingroup$ Let $[0,1]$ be partitioned into the set of reciprocals of integers $A=1,1/2,1/3,...$ and the complement $B$ of $A$. Now map $A$ by a shift of the sequence (take 1 to 1/2, take 1/2 to 1/3, etc), and map $B$ by the identity. Then this will map $[0,1]$ bijectively to $[0,1)$. $\endgroup$ – coffeemath Nov 2 '12 at 4:07

Let $x_\alpha$ be a well-ordering of $[0,1]$.

For any ordinal $\alpha = \theta + n < \frak{c}$ where $\theta$ is a limit ordinal or $0$ and $n$ is a finite ordinal, let $F(\theta + n \cdot 2) = F(\theta + n \cdot 2 + 1) = x_\alpha$.

Now define $f(x_\alpha) = F(\alpha)$ for all $\alpha \lt \frak{c}$ and it is clear that $f$ has the required property.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ This is a overblown considering @EuYu's comment. I do need practice with this kind of proof but it's not appropriate for this problem. $\endgroup$ – Dan Brumleve Nov 2 '12 at 5:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.