Typically you have a relation R like this --> aRb. However, I am trying to find the symbol "opposite" of R, to say a is not related to b. It looks like R, but with a diagonal line through it. What is the LaTeX command for this symbol?


closed as off-topic by Jonas Meyer, user91500, Dario, Claude Leibovici, Frits Veerman Apr 20 '17 at 10:03

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "This question is not about mathematics, within the scope defined in the help center." – Jonas Meyer, user91500, Dario, Claude Leibovici, Frits Veerman
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • $\begingroup$ you can try here to write it... if it exists it will appear: detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html $\endgroup$ – iadvd Apr 20 '17 at 0:55
  • $\begingroup$ Use \not in front of any relation symbol and latex will negate it for you. Example $\not \in$ $\not \subset$ $\not \sim$ $\not \geq$ $\endgroup$ – Will M. Apr 20 '17 at 0:56
  • $\begingroup$ I would write $(a,b)\notin R$ because this notation is completely standard and clear. $\endgroup$ – Masacroso Apr 20 '17 at 1:39

Something like this? $a \not\mathrel{R} b$

If so, type: \$a \not \mathrel{R} b\$.

You didn't mention this, but if you also prefer using the notation $a \sim b$, where $\sim$ is the relation, then $a \nsim b$ is typed as \$a \nsim b\$.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ You're welcome. By the way, you should visit tex.stackexchange.com rather than this site. It'll have more of what you're looking for. $\endgroup$ – Mark Twain Apr 20 '17 at 1:02

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.