What is the process of combining vectors into a matrix called?

My question is not how or why to do this. My question is, "What is this process called?"

For example, if we need a solution for a system of linear equations, one method is to represent the unknowns as column vectors and then join those column vectors into a single matrix. One way to describe it might be to say "indexing" an array but I'm looking for a formal terminology. Ultimately, I'd like to know how to represent this in a generalized form.

Essentially, I'm asking how to describe and formally write something like this:

$$ \begin{equation} \vec v_1=\left(\begin{array}{c} X_1 \\ Y_1 \\ Z_1 \end{array}\right), \vec v_2=\left(\begin{array}{c} X_2 \\ Y_2 \\ Z_2 \end{array}\right) \rightarrow M=\left(\begin{array}{cc} X_1 & X_2 \\ Y_1 & Y_2 \\ Z_1 & Z_2 \end{array}\right) \end{equation} $$



We call a matrix produced concatenation of two matrices (not necessarily vectors) an augmented matrix. To emphasize that we formed such a matrix in this way, we might write (continuing the given example) $$M = \left(\begin{array}{c|c}{\bf v}_1 & {\bf v}_2\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{c|c}X_1 & X_2 \\ Y_1 & Y_2 \\ Z_1 & Z_2 \\ \end{array}\right) .$$ Depending on context, I might not use this term when concatenating more than two vectors, that is, when forming for vectors ${\bf w}_1 , \ldots, {\bf w}_r$ the matrix $$\left(\begin{array}{ccc}{\bf w}_1 & \cdots & {\bf w}_r\end{array}\right) .$$ (In this case I would generally omit the bars, $\vert$.)

  • $\begingroup$ That was the term I was missing! :) $\endgroup$ – Bobson Dugnutt Mar 12 '17 at 2:09
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ In my experience, it's also commonly written without the bar as $M = ( \mathbf{v}_1 \ \mathbf{v}_2 )$. $\endgroup$ – Brick Mar 12 '17 at 2:28
  • $\begingroup$ Yes, I only meant to introduce the alternative notation (hence "might write"). In general if you're forming a matrix out of several vectors, usually one doesn't write with bars. The bar is commonly used when one of the matrices has $> 1$ column, e.g., when one forms the augmented matrix $({\bf A} \,|\, {\bf b})$ encoding a linear system ${\bf A} {\bf x} = {\bf b}$. $\endgroup$ – Travis Mar 12 '17 at 2:49
  • $\begingroup$ "Augmented." Excellent! Thank you. $\endgroup$ – Buddacow Mar 12 '17 at 3:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.