We have two spheres whose radiuses are $a$ cm each and their centre coordinates are $(0,a,0)$ and $(0,0,0)$ consecutively.

How can we determine the volume of the intersection regions of these given two spheres by using triple integrals?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Adapting the ideas in the answers to Volume Between Spheres – Spherical Coordinates should answer your question. (Single-variable calculus suffices; insistence on spherical or cylindrical coordinates would be almost perverse, but an answer using spherical coordinates is given at the linked question.) $\endgroup$ – Andrew D. Hwang Jan 10 '17 at 13:54

First note that the two spheres have equations: $$ x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2 \quad \mbox{and}\quad x^2+(y-a)^2+z^2=a^2 $$ and intersect on the plane $y=a/2$.

So the volume of the intersection region is made of two identical cups that have height $h=a/2$ and radius of the basis circle $b=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}a$ and we can use the formula for the volume of a cup to evaluate the volume as: $$ V=2 V_{cup}=2\cdot\frac{\pi a}{12}\left(\frac{9}{4}a^2+\frac{a^2}{4} \right)=2\cdot\frac{5\pi a^3}{24} $$

If you want to justify this result with an integral, you can do it with a simple integral noting that the single cup is a solid of revolution around the $y$ axis of the curve $z=\sqrt{a^2-y^2}$ in the $y-z$ plane. So the volume is: $$ V_{cup}=\int_{a/2}^a \pi z(y)^2 dy=\pi \int_{a/2}^a (a^2-y^2)dy= \frac{5 \pi}{24}a^3 $$

If you want necessarily a triple integral than the better is to note the cylindrical symmetry around the y axis and use cylindrical coordinates around it ( this means that we switch the name of $y$ and $z$ axis), so the volume of a single cup becomes: $$ V_{cup}=\int_{a/2}^a\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\sqrt{a^2-y^2}}\rho \;d \rho\; d \varphi\; d y $$

that, with a bit of work, gives the same result.

The use of a triple integral in rectangular coordinates is possible but really masochistic.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.