Given the functions $f\colon A\to B$ and $g\colon B\to B$, a common, useful strategy is to define a new function $h\colon A\to A$ as the composition $f^{-1}\circ g\circ f$.

There seem to be many applications and conceptually similar maneuvers, ranging from the "Schwarzian transform" (used in programming to sort arbitrary data without redundant key computation) to Fourier convolution ($f * g = \mathcal{F}^{-1}\{\mathcal{F}\{f\}\cdot \mathcal{F}\{g\}\}$).

Is there a standard name for this general pattern of composition?

(One comment suggested this was a duplication of another question, which asked what to call the constituent parts of a composition. This is not that. I'm asking about a name for the specific pattern $h = f^{-1}\circ g\circ f$.)


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.