A similar question on this site addresses the general word for the measurement itself, e.g. count in zero dimensions, length in one, area in two, volume in three, and $n$-volume/area or - more generally - measure for higher dimensions.

Is there a corresponding term in the mathematical lexicon for the differential element? I haven't seen anything like it in glossaries like Mathworld which seems to only go as high as three dimensions.

Would something like "measure element" be appropriate?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The volume form might be relevant: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_form $\endgroup$ – 211792 Oct 18 '16 at 18:18
  • $\begingroup$ Is "differential element" not general enough? $\endgroup$ – user137731 Oct 18 '16 at 18:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.