I'm trying to find out the correct name of this shape. Here are a few arranged in a circle:

example of shapes

Each of these shapes has four edges: two circular arcs and two straight line radii, making a closed shape.

I've been loosely calling this a sector, but I think the consensus is that sectors (also called slice or wedge) have three edges: two full radii as sides and a portion of a circle's circumference as the third edge. It's not a chord, obviously...

If there's no obvious name for this, any suggestions for a suitable one? I was thinking track or band, but not sure if these have better names already.

  • $\begingroup$ truncated sector? (Think about truncated cone where the top is taken off) $\endgroup$ – imranfat Sep 6 '16 at 15:48

I would call it an annular sector (as in, a sector of an annulus). I don't think it really has a universally standard name. Apparently someone out there agrees with me.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Thanks! Two out of the entire internet is good enough for me... :) $\endgroup$ – daycaster Sep 6 '16 at 19:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.