Say I had a set $S=\{s_1,\dots, s_n\}$, and each $s_i$ denotes an outcome. If I wanted to define a function, $f$ which takes two elements of $S$, $\{s_i, s_j\}$, and maps it to a relation, either $s_i\succ s_j$ or $s_j\succ s_j$, how exactly could I define this function - notation wise? I was thinking that maybe it could be something like $f: S^2 \rightarrow X$ and $f(s_i,s_j)= \{s_i\succ s_j $ or $ s_j\succ s_j\}$ but am unsure of my notation. Essentially, I would like a nice way to write something similar to $g: \mathbb{R}^3 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2$, where $g(x, y, z)=(xy, yz)$.


Let's say $\succ$ is a total ordering on $S$. Therefore, either $a \succ b$ or $b \succ a$ for all $a, b \in S$.

In this case, to do what you want to do, you need to create a function from $S^2$ to $S^2$. It will take as input $(a, b)$ for $a, b$ in $S$ and then output the ordered tuple. Here is the formal definition:

$$f(a, b)=\begin{cases}(a, b) \ \ \ \text{if} \ a \succ b \\ (b, a) \ \ \ \text{if} \ b \succ a\end{cases}$$

Thus, $f$ takes in a two-tuple of $S$ as input and then orders the tuple from greatest to least. I think this is the easiest definition of what you want.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.