The length of the unit is 1.
The area of the unit square is 1.
The volume of the unit cube is 1.
The $\color{red}{???}$ of the unit tesseract is 1.
The $\color{blue}{???}$ of the unit 5-cube is 1.

So this is a fill in the blanks-question, but I've been wondering if there's a common term for this? I'd imagine it'd be "n-volume", but I cannot seem to find any uses of that term, so I'm guessing there is another term?

  • 7
    $\begingroup$ Related (duplicate?): "What is the general term for concepts like length, area and volume?". I recall looking through old-school geometry texts where "content" was the preferred general term (with "$n$-content" the specific $n$-dimensional term), so it's what I tend to use. $\endgroup$
    – Blue
    Mar 15, 2016 at 9:17
  • $\begingroup$ @Blue I thought there had to be similar question asked about this, but it seem like a more general question than mine. $\endgroup$
    – Frank Vel
    Mar 15, 2016 at 9:26
  • $\begingroup$ I've heard the term תפיסה used to describe the space time occupied by an object: volume * timeInExistence. That might translate to "holding" or "capture" in English, but note that one of the dimensions was the time dimension, not another spatial dimension. $\endgroup$
    – dotancohen
    Mar 15, 2016 at 12:47
  • $\begingroup$ A common theme is called measure theory. In this language length of unit is the induced Lebesgue measure from the real line and so on. $\endgroup$
    – DBS
    Mar 15, 2016 at 14:09

1 Answer 1


The term "hypervolume" is in use, but that doesn't tell you the dimension. I don't see any trouble using "$4$-volume" to describe the amount of space the unit tesseract occupies.

  • $\begingroup$ I couldn't find any information on wolframmathworld nor wikipedia, and wiktionary claims it's simply the volume of an n-dimensional object. Is there anywhere I could read about this? $\endgroup$
    – Frank Vel
    Mar 15, 2016 at 9:20
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ @FrankVel benjaminblonder.org/papers/2014_GEB.pdf Does this help? $\endgroup$
    – S.C.B.
    Mar 15, 2016 at 10:01
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ A bit more verbose, but "nD hyper-unit" works too. So "4D hyper-volume", "5D hyper-cube", etc. This is generally extensible to any number of dimensions or types of thing you're extrapolating to so many dimensions. $\endgroup$
    – MichaelS
    Mar 15, 2016 at 12:49
  • $\begingroup$ Four-dimensional hypervolume is sometimes referred to as "bulk" $\endgroup$ Mar 15, 2016 at 14:33
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Can we just use volume if we don't mind about the dimentions? $\endgroup$
    – Ooker
    Mar 15, 2016 at 18:17

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .