Sets whose intersection is the empty set are called disjoint. What is the opposite of a disjoint set? For example the sets $\{1,2\}$ and $\{2,3\}$ satisfy this condition. I know that you can just say not-disjoint. But I was wondering if there was a specific term for it. I ask this because someone told me that this term existed but that he could`nt remeber. I have searched extensively but I haven't found it.

  • 5
    $\begingroup$ I always say two sets "intersect" or that they "have nonempty intersection". $\endgroup$ – Alex Becker Jul 10 '12 at 1:51
  • 7
    $\begingroup$ "Non-disjoint". $\endgroup$ – MJD Jul 10 '12 at 1:52
  • 10
    $\begingroup$ They are joint! $\endgroup$ – William Jul 10 '12 at 1:53

You seem to be looking for an adjective meaning the opposite of disjoint. Given two sets that aren't disjoint, I would just call them intersecting sets, where intersecting is an adjectival participle derived from the verb to intersect.


If $A\cap B \not= \emptyset$, I say, "$A$ meets $B$."

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I don't just say this, Erdos does: renyi.hu/~p_erdos/1955-14.pdf (Proof of Theorem 2). Pontryagin also uses the term in his topology book. I learned the term from topologists at the University of Texas back in the 80s. It is a descriptive and useful one. I do not understand the downvote. $\endgroup$ – ncmathsadist Jul 10 '12 at 22:24
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ @Norbert: seriously? $\endgroup$ – Asaf Karagila Jul 16 '12 at 13:50
  • $\begingroup$ @Asaf Karagila, Seriously. $\endgroup$ – Norbert Jul 16 '12 at 13:50
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Is there any notation you can use to indicate this? I recall seeing $A\uparrow B$ but I cannot find it back $\endgroup$ – ggll Sep 18 '15 at 18:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.