I am curious to know if there is a specific name for numbers that use a comma for a decimal separator and a dot for a thousands separator as opposed to numbers that are the reverse.

For example: 4.048,5 vs 4,048.5

  • $\begingroup$ I don't see any reason why there would be a specific name, it just depends on your country. $\endgroup$ – Captain Lama Mar 4 '16 at 19:47
  • $\begingroup$ The only time I saw this reversal of notation was in the French-language section of a pamphlet on the use of a slide rule I bought (in the Stone Age.) I assumed it was a matter of national style. $\endgroup$ – DanielWainfleet Mar 4 '16 at 22:25

There's a name for the symbol used to separate the integer part from the fractional part: it's called the decimal mark. Not sure if there's a terminology for the numbers that use a particular convention for the decimal mark. Besides the two examples you cite, the Wikipedia article mentions several other 'styles' for displaying numbers.

| cite | improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Or more generally, allowing for other bases, a radix point (even when it’s a comma). $\endgroup$ – Brian M. Scott Mar 4 '16 at 21:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.