I have 1: a right angled triangle, 2: an isosceles triangle, 3: a rectangle, 4: a parallelogram, and 5 a trapezium in the 2D picture which I am rotating about the red axis next to them.

They produce three dimensional circular shapes, some of which I cannot recognize and name. I was able to identify the 1: cone, 2: ?, 3: cylinder, 4: ?, 5: ?

2 is possible a spinning top, but i am not certain. Are there mathematical names for these shapes, if so what are they called? Thanks!

2D: http://i.imgur.com/wtWptZ4.png

3D: http://i.imgur.com/y5F8QQc.png


Some people would call #2 a "double cone".

As far as I know there are no specific names for #4 and #5. Obviously they are solids of revolution, and their faces are either cylindrical or conic, but that's all we can say, I think.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.