Is there a canonical way to indicate the space of sesquilinear forms? For bilinear forms I can use the (0,2) Tensor space, but since sesquilinear forms are not linear in one variable I don't know how to indicate the space where they live. Does anybody have an idea? Thank you


You can use the construction of the complex conjugate vector space and identify a sesquilinear form with an element of $V^{*} \otimes \overline{V}^{*}$. An elementary tensor $\varphi \otimes \psi \in V^{*} \otimes \overline{V}^{*}$ gives rise to a sesquilinear form $g_{\varphi \otimes \psi} \colon V \times V \rightarrow \mathbb{C} $ defined by

$$ g(v, w) := \varphi(v) \psi(w) $$

which will be antilinear in the second variable.

  • $\begingroup$ Ok that's a nice trick, does it have also have a name or is it just like that? $\endgroup$ – Dac0 Jan 26 '16 at 12:23
  • $\begingroup$ I never heard of a name attributed to it - this is just part of complex multilinear algebra. $\endgroup$ – levap Jan 26 '16 at 12:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.