I am interested to know the name of the following solid construction - kind of a deformed cube... but I don't know the name, or even a general name:

  1. Left and right faces parallel with the $yz$ axes
  2. Bottom face parallel with the $xz$ axes
  3. Back face parallel with the $xy$ axes.
  4. Front and top faces not necessarily parallel,

assuming $x=(1, 0, 0),y=(0,1,0),z=(0,0,1)$. If there is no such name, then is "3d quadrilateral" correct ?

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I would not call "quadrilateral" what seems to be a solid. "Cuboid" might be a more appropriate name. $\endgroup$ – Aretino Jan 19 '16 at 18:09
  • $\begingroup$ Just found this: I think maybe polyhedron might cover it (in general). A polyhedron with 6 faces is called a hexahedron. mathworld.wolfram.com/Hexahedron.html $\endgroup$ – Pixel Jan 19 '16 at 18:17
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ To my knowledge there's no standard name for such a shape, but if I understand the description your solid is a prism, over a right trapezoid if the top and bottom (or front and back) faces are parallel, over a nameless quadrilateral otherwise. "Quadrilateral prism" is probably self-descriptive, but an appropriate name depends on context and your intended usage. $\endgroup$ – Andrew D. Hwang Jan 19 '16 at 18:52
  • $\begingroup$ Thank you Andrew. I will have a think about your comment. $\endgroup$ – Pixel Jan 19 '16 at 19:19

This is a right-quadrilateral-based right prism. Say prism for short.


It is called Triclinic. It is one of the 7 crystal systems. Wiki

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Not at all. This is not a parallelepiped and some angles are right. $\endgroup$ – Yves Daoust Mar 14 at 10:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.