Let $m$ be any fixed positive integer. For each integer $j$, $0\le j \lt m$, let $\Bbb Z_j=\{x \in \Bbb Z\,|\, x-j=km \text{ for some } k \in \Bbb Z\}$.

Then when we consider the below definition, can we denote $\{x \in \Bbb Z\,|\, x-j=km \text{ for some } k \in \Bbb Z\}$ as $\bigcup\limits_{k \in Z}${km+j} or $\overset {m-1}\bigcup\limits_{j=0}${km+j}?

FYI "Definition 6 Let F be an arbitrary family of sets. The union of the sets in F, denoted by $\bigcup\mathscr F$, is the set of all elements that are in A for some $A\in\mathscr F$.​

$\bigcup\limits_{A \in \mathscr F}A$={$x\in U$|x∈A for some $A\in F$}"

If the family $\mathscr F$ is indexed by the set $\Gamma$, the following alternate notation may be used:

$\bigcup\limits_{r\in \Gamma}A_r$={$x\in U$ | $x \in A_r$ for some $r\in \Gamma$}

If the idex set $\Gamma$ is finite, $\Gamma$={1, 2, 3,..., n} for some natural number n, more intuitive notations such as

$\overset {n}\bigcup\limits_{i=1}A_i$ or $A_1 \bigcup A_2 \bigcup \cdots \bigcup A_n$ are often used for $\bigcup_{r \in \Gamma}A_r$.

Source: Set Theory by You-Feng Lin, Shwu-Yeng T. Lin.


That is correct, although it is customary to denote such a union of singletons as

$$\{km+j|k\in\mathbb Z\}$$


You also can denote the partition associated with the congruence in a compact form as $$\mathbf Z=\bigcup_{j=0}^{m-1}(j+\mathbf Zm).$$

  • $\begingroup$ No, it can't be denoted that way. What you have written is equal to $\mathbb Z$, and the set the OP is asking about is not equal to $\mathbb Z$. $\endgroup$ – hmakholm left over Monica Jan 12 '16 at 13:14
  • $\begingroup$ @Henning Malcolm: Right, I should have used it as a way to specify the partition induced by the congruence classes. $\endgroup$ – Bernard Jan 12 '16 at 13:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.