In English, I would generally read the mathematical notation $\bar{A}$ as "a bar" or "big a bar." What would this be in Russian?

I looked in Glazunova's Russian for Mathematicians, but couldn't find the answer. I found that $\bar{z}$ can be зет сопряженное, but I imagine this is only for when the bar represents conjugation.


Edit: I would like to clarify that I am looking for the most likely ways a mathematician would read this notation where no particular reading is suggested by the context—that is, in cases where the $\bar{\phantom{a}}$ does not represent an operation that has been given a specific name (like conjugation).

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Without any context, correct reading would be "$A$ с надчёркиванием". This is rarely used, though - usually specific term for whatever the bar represents is used. $\endgroup$ Dec 14, 2015 at 9:31
  • $\begingroup$ @Abstraction Okay, much appreciated! $\endgroup$
    – David
    Dec 14, 2015 at 9:32
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ «A с чертой» is frequently used (have never heard «A с надчеркиванием» in my life) $\endgroup$
    – Grigory M
    Dec 14, 2015 at 10:31
  • $\begingroup$ @GrigoryM Thanks! $\endgroup$
    – David
    Dec 14, 2015 at 10:34
  • 6
    $\begingroup$ Since I have received downvotes and close votes, I will point out that questions about how to read mathematical notation (in English or other languages) are on-topic: meta.math.stackexchange.com/questions/19103/… $\endgroup$
    – David
    Dec 19, 2015 at 11:06


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.