Lets say I have a list: $L:=(a,b,c,d)$ of objects from some space. I can call $L$ as set iff each element is unique, otherwise, the set associated with $L$ will have fewer elements than L.

Is there a mathematical term for $L$: a collection of objects that may or may not be unique?

  • 1
    Google for multiset – user251257 Aug 11 '15 at 13:39
  • 1
    In computer science it is often called a bag – MJD Aug 11 '15 at 14:13
up vote 1 down vote accepted

We have the notion of a multiset

  • Perfect!! Thanks so much. Ill accept in 13 minutes. – user237392 Aug 11 '15 at 13:40

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.