Given a group of numbers $-5,-3,1,2$, the maximum is 2, the minimum is -5.

What is the mathematical jargon for the maximum and minimum in absolute terms (i.e. -5 and 1 respectively)?

Basically, I want to say that:

'-5 is the [jargon to mean maximum in absolute terms] in the group of numbers'.

I know that 'absolute maximum' generally refers to a global maximum in a context of a function. Is the phrase 'maximum absolute' used or easily confused with another meaning?

I appreciate this is a very basic question which probably has a really obvious answer but the answer escapes me...

  • $\begingroup$ I don't think there is "one word" for the term 'absolute maximum'. You can simply call it "absolute maximum". $\endgroup$ – Apurv Jul 7 '15 at 5:03

I would go with 'element with the greatest absolute value/magnitude', but as with any question like this, if there's any ambiguity about what you're saying, you're better off explaining it like you did here.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I was expecting that there is some jargon that was unambiguous and more succinct that what you or my question suggested... $\endgroup$ – Charlie Jul 7 '15 at 4:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.