Is there a mathematical operator which flips a vector from left to right (or up to down). Say \begin{align} a = [1~ 2~ 3]\quad\text{and}\quad b = [3~ 2~ 1] \end{align} I'd like to have \begin{align} a = \sigma\circ b \end{align} where $\sigma$ is the flip operator. How would you define it? Or does the operator might exists already and I'm just not aware?


1 Answer 1


I don't know of any such operator, however, you could multiply your vector by the matrix

$\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 &1 \\ 0& 1 &0 \\ 1&0 &0 \end{bmatrix}$

and then take the transpose.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Your matrix is not an operator ? $\endgroup$
    – user42761
    Jun 26, 2015 at 13:45
  • $\begingroup$ No. In fact, I don't know of any operator that will work, I was just trying to helpful and my reputation score isn't high enough to just post a comment yet. $\endgroup$ Jun 26, 2015 at 13:46
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @someone: Your matrix may not be an operator, but it certainly corresponds to one. In this context, the term "operator" is simply another word for "linear transformation" between two vector spaces, and left multiplication with your matrix defines such an operator. $\endgroup$ Jun 26, 2015 at 13:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.