Suppose $P$ is some property of some objects and $f$ is a function on those objects. If $Px$ implies $Pf(x)$ and $\lnot Px$ implies $\lnot Pf(x)$, then we might say that "$P$ is invariant under $f$".

Suppose that instead, $P$ is a property such that $Px$ implies $\lnot P f(x)$ and $\lnot Px$ implies $Pf(x)$. What is the correct terminology for this situation?

  • $\begingroup$ Is there a particular context where you've encountered this property of a property? $\endgroup$ – Ethan Bolker Jun 14 '15 at 16:26
  • $\begingroup$ @EthanBolker $P$ is a property of positions $x$ in a game. For a certain transformation (isomorphism) $f$ on game positions, $f$ reverses property $P$. $\endgroup$ – 6005 Jun 14 '15 at 16:42
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Tempted to suggest "flippant", I instead suggest "anti-invariant" or "reversed", if there isn't a standard term already. $\endgroup$ – Doug Chatham Jun 14 '15 at 17:12
  • $\begingroup$ you might say "P has odd parity under $f$" $\endgroup$ – WW1 Jun 14 '15 at 18:18
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I am all for flippant! $\endgroup$ – GFR Jul 30 '15 at 17:05

The term anti-invariant seems to be in use for what I believe is this general idea. The Wikipedia glossary of invariant theory defines an anti-invariant as

A relative invariant transforming according to a character of order 2 of a group such as the symmetric group.

which, if my understanding of the relevant terms is correct, is a special case of what I want. Also, an "anti-invariant Riemannian submersion" involves a function not mapping a set to itself, but instead mapping a set to its orthogonal complement (defined e.g. here). Other uses of the term "anti-invariant" can be found by google, e.g. here and here, though it's hard to jump in without context and figure out what the term means.

In conclusion, I think that if one were in great need of a concise term to use repeatedly, anti-invariant would be a good choice. But for most purposes it is probably best to write out "$Px \implies \lnot P f(x)$" explicitly, or in words.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.