Let $\phi_k(n)$ be the number of integers $m$ in $1\le m\le n$ for which $\gcd(m,n) = k$. Then $\phi_1(n) =\varphi(n)$, the standard totient function.

This function arises in the analysis of the structure of the cyclic group of order $n$: the number of elements of $Z_n$ that have order $k$ is $\phi_k(n)$. It similarly arises in the analysis of the dihedral groups, which is where I ran into it. So I imagine that it has a standard name.

It is easy enough to calculate, but I would like to research it and I don't know what it is called.

  • 2
    Wouldn't we just have $\phi_k(n)=\phi(\frac{n}k)$? I would think it wouldn't be named if that is indeed the case. – Milo Brandt May 14 '15 at 3:20
  • Yep, I was just coming back to say that. Thanks! – MJD May 14 '15 at 3:30
up vote 2 down vote accepted

This is very easy; it's apparent that if $\phi_k(n)=0$ if $k$ does not divide $n$, and if it does divide $n$, then $$\phi_k(n) = \varphi\left(\frac nk\right)$$ because $\gcd(ka, kb) = k\cdot\gcd(a, b)$. This gives $\phi_1 = \varphi$ as desired.

So it's probably too simple to have a separate name.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.