What I'm looking for is the name of a type of number set. Given a number T (for total) and a set of positive integers S, I want to uniquely identify the subset of S that sums to T. All sets containing 1 or 2 positive integers will pass the test, since there is a unique combination of those numbers and the sum will therefore be the same.

For example:

{1, 7, 89} passes the test. Any combination of those numbers, when summed, will generate a unique T, and vice versa, any T that is a sum of a combination of those numbers will generate a unique subset of S. So, the set of all T s for the above set is {1, 7, 8, 89, 90, 96}.

{2, 3, 7, 8} does not pass the test. There are multiple combinations that yield a total of 10 ({2, 8}, and {3, 7}). So if I specified a T of 10, you could not tell me with confidence the combination that produced that sum.

With that out of the way. My question is this... Is there name for a set of positive integers like this? I'd like to learn more about them more a personal project of mine.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ try the powers of 2 $\endgroup$ – Will Jagy May 6 '15 at 1:55
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ What do you call a set whose subsets all have unique sums? is a similar question. Greg Martin's comment mentions Sidon sets, which seems like what you're looking for, since your examples only require unique sums for each two integers. $\endgroup$ – kate May 10 '15 at 19:54
  • $\begingroup$ @kate I'd say that post answers my question pretty well! I don't want to limit myself to summing two integers (in the case of Sidon sets), but if you post an answer with a link to that post, I'll confirm it for you. =) $\endgroup$ – William May 20 '15 at 5:21
  • $\begingroup$ it looks like a general case of sumfree sets problem. $\endgroup$ – Abr001am Apr 17 '18 at 10:09

They are called sets with distinct subset sums.

| cite | improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.