I was looking for the name given to the more locally convex / concave points of a given function $f(x)$ for instance, the ones I have marked in the multiplicative inverse function below. In the case of the multiplicative inverse it might be also a fixed point, but being a fixed point does not necessarily mean that is also locally the most convex / concave point. It is not an inflection point as well, and I am not sure if it is an stationary point, because the position is not a local maximum or minimum. So is there a name for the most locally convex / concave points of a function? thank you.

multiplicative inverse

The Wiki articles are not very clear about it:




The word for the measure you're looking at is "curvature". I'd probably call the thing you're looking for "the point of maximum curvature"; there may be a better name but I don't know it.

  • $\begingroup$ thank you!! so it is the point of maximum curvature. $\endgroup$ – iadvd Apr 3 '15 at 3:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.