What is a good way to translate mathematical technical terms?

This can sometimes be hard because some words have different meanings in some language. For example:

  • "eigenwert" (= "eigenvalue" in german) is translated "intrisic value" by google translate.
  • "coprs" (= "division ring" in french) is translated "body" by most of the translators, e.g. google, Linguee, etc.

In particular, I would like to know how to say "manifolds" in spanish.

  • $\begingroup$ Use Google Translate. $\endgroup$ – Prasun Biswas Mar 31 '15 at 12:04
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variedad $\endgroup$ – Stefan Hamcke Mar 31 '15 at 12:08
  • $\begingroup$ variedad diferenciable $\endgroup$ – user137731 Mar 31 '15 at 12:18
  • $\begingroup$ @PrasunBiswas As I pointed out in my edit of the question, google translate may be a bad choice for translating mathematical words (and I'm not talking about texts). $\endgroup$ – Surb Mar 31 '15 at 14:03
  • $\begingroup$ Why is this getting downvotes? Its a perfectly reasonable question. $\endgroup$ – goblin Mar 31 '15 at 14:44

A good way to translate mathematical terms from language $A$ to language $B$ is to look for the wikipedia article of the term in language $A$ and then change it to language $B$.

So look for manifold and switch the article to spanish.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.