Is there a quick way to notate 'any intersection of these sets is the empty set'?

I have a number of sets, I want to express that none share any elements with any other. Is there a way to express that other than individually notating every intersection as equal to the empty set?


From PJS36's answer, I found an answer to the question of notation on wolfram mathworld:

sets $A_1, A_2, ..., A_n$ are disjoint if $ A_i \cap A_j =\emptyset$ for $ i\neq j$.


The phrase I've always seen/used is "pairwise disjoint." Given sets $A_i$, if $A_i \cap A_j = \emptyset$ for $i \neq j$, we say that the sets are pairwise disjoint.

  • $\begingroup$ That's helpful. Just read the article on Wikipedia. It's the exact notion that I want. However, the article didn't say how to notate, say, eight, "mutually disjoint" sets. $\endgroup$ – Hal Mar 22 '15 at 19:39
  • $\begingroup$ Oh, notation... Yeah, I would just throw in the phrase "pairwise disjoint", rather than coming up with some kind of notation scheme. I don't know if any notation for that situation exists. $\endgroup$ – pjs36 Mar 22 '15 at 19:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.