Is there a standard notation for representing disjoint inequalities? For example, let's say that I have an equation that may be solved under the following conditions:

$ x \leq a$ OR $ x \geq a+b$

is there a standard way to express an OR condition with inequalities? I thought of combining the two as:

$x \leq a \leq x-b$

But this is somewhat confusing because $a$ is a constant, and it looks like the upperbound is smaller than the lower bound. Any suggestions?


The notation $$x\leq a\leq x-b$$ means $x\leq a$ AND $a\leq x-b$, so you cannot use it. But writing it $$x\leq a\quad\text{or}\quad x\geq a+b,$$ as you did, is a perfectly acceptable mathematical notation.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.