I know of "position vectors" and "velocity vectors". I'm looking for the name of an object which contains both a position vector and velocity vector, if such a name exists?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ A vector in the Phase space $\endgroup$ – Achilles Mar 11 '15 at 18:20
  • $\begingroup$ @Sebastian, so for example a point in phase space might be $p=(x,y,u,v)$, where $(x,y)$ is position and $(u,v)$ is velocity. Thank you. $\endgroup$ – Pixel Mar 11 '15 at 18:22
  • $\begingroup$ yes, if you are considering a 2 dimensional problem $\endgroup$ – Achilles Mar 11 '15 at 18:23
  • $\begingroup$ Classical space $\text{$\pi: $TM}\to M$ the tangent-bundle. E.g. Abraham/Marsden: Foundations of Mechanics. $\endgroup$ – Frieder Mar 11 '15 at 19:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.