Let's say X is uniformly distributed in [-1 , 1]

Then what can we call the distribution of X³ ? It is not uniform, but it "mirrors" around 0 as well.

Is there a simple word describing X³ that would also apply to X⁵ and to 3X, for example?

I would call it "mirror around zero" but I find this ugly and was wondering if there's a better and established term.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Saying the distribution is "symmetric" about 0 is probably the best you can do with one word. This implies that 0 is the median, but it is a stronger condition than merely requiring 0 to be the median. $\endgroup$
    – hardmath
    Jan 25, 2015 at 4:20
  • $\begingroup$ Good suggestion, it fits perfectly for my use case. Thanks! $\endgroup$
    – user985366
    Jan 25, 2015 at 4:25

1 Answer 1


Per the OP's comment, saying the distribution is "symmetric about zero" is a suitable phrase.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.