Functions are usually (though not always) defined as a relation, which is a set of ordered pairs. In this sense, functions are merely sets. However, some ''functions" can only be described by proper classes, and not sets. A familiar example of this is the power set function $\mathcal{P}(X)$. Is there a name for these kinds of "functions", or are they just called functions as well, or is there perhaps not a standard terminology for them?

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I've seen/heard "class function" used before. $\endgroup$ – Hayden Jan 7 '15 at 20:41

Class function, as Hayden points in the comments, is the common term for describing a collection of ordered pairs which is not [necessarily] a set, and if $\langle x,y\rangle$ and $\langle x,z\rangle$ are both in this collection, then $y=z$.

In some contexts we just call them functions and expect the reader/listener/world-class violinist to infer from context whether or not the function is a set or a class (although in those contexts it's often unimportant, which is why we neglect to mention that information).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.