This may seem stupid question, but I'm curious about this.

Generally, $(a/p)$ is called "the Legendre symbol" where $p$ is an odd prime, but I don't like this naming since this naming is not formal. That is, this terminology is not designating a specific object.

Does it sound OK to call $(a/p)$ "the Legendre symbol of $a$ mod $p$" or "the Legendre symbol of $a$ over $p$"?

What about naming the function $(-/p):\mathbb{Z}\rightarrow \mathbb{Z}$ "the Legendre symbol mod $p$?

What would be a good terminology to emphasize a subject $a$ or emphasize $(-/p)$ as a function?


I think for the Legendre question it should be "a on p". But I could be wrong.

  • $\begingroup$ I agree with this! :) $\endgroup$ – KCd Jan 3 '15 at 20:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.