1,686 reputation
218
bio website morrellplumbing.com.au
location
age
visits member for 1 year, 11 months
seen yesterday

Full time business manager part time programmer for in-house applications only - don't expect any polish!


1d
revised $3$ dimensional light up cube ornament, # of rows/cols/diags in/on a cube
added 132 characters in body
1d
comment $3$ dimensional light up cube ornament, # of rows/cols/diags in/on a cube
Right - my mistake
1d
comment $3$ dimensional light up cube ornament, # of rows/cols/diags in/on a cube
There are 3 diagonals with 4 lights - if you are willing to consider diagonals with less than 4 lights then there are more
1d
comment $3$ dimensional light up cube ornament, # of rows/cols/diags in/on a cube
The advantage of the Markov chain is it can be extended to answer Question 2. Your idea is much easier for Question 1 - wish I had though of it!
1d
answered $3$ dimensional light up cube ornament, # of rows/cols/diags in/on a cube
Dec
15
answered Probability: Minimum Questions
Dec
11
answered When to use Binomial Distribution vs. Poisson Distribution?
Dec
11
comment Mixed Distributions - Expectation and Variance
Yes - this was a typo on the second last line, didn't affect the final result. Feel free to use a Binomial distribution - you will be wrong but I believe in freedom! Seriously, that is really another question - post it and I will offer a full answer.
Dec
11
revised Mixed Distributions - Expectation and Variance
Removed incorrect squaring
Dec
11
answered Ways to write “50”
Dec
11
answered Mixed Distributions - Expectation and Variance
Dec
10
comment Mixed Distributions - Expectation and Variance
Also, if you overcome the issue in my first comment the distribution you need is Poisson - see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_distribution
Dec
10
comment Mixed Distributions - Expectation and Variance
You do not have enough information to solve b) & c) - there is no time given for $p$: is it per day, per year, per lifetime of the bike?
Dec
10
revised $X,Y,Z$ are iid ~ $U(0,1)$, find $P(X>YZ)$ and $P(X<Y<Z)$
mathjax added
Dec
10
suggested approved edit on $X,Y,Z$ are iid ~ $U(0,1)$, find $P(X>YZ)$ and $P(X<Y<Z)$
Dec
10
comment Calculating lifetime probability from annual incidence
Although the farmer is possibly at higher risk of tornado strike :-)
Dec
10
answered probablity review questions.
Dec
8
comment Consistency of two measurements including means and standard deviations
If you construct a confidence interval for a mean, say 95%, then there is a 95% chance that the value lies within it. Therefore there is a 2.5% it lies above and a 2.5% it lies below. Since the experiments (and therefore the confidence intervals) are independent, the probabilities follow. To be totally accurate, you should partition the low and high probabilities but the maths has no real meaning and was provided to illustrate the point.
Dec
8
answered Consistency of two measurements including means and standard deviations
Dec
8
comment estimating and expected value of date of birth
It is too little - read up on en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem - for thirty people the probability of no pairs is about 30%