Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Suppose two manifolds $X$ and $Y$, both orientable of dimension $n$, and a map $f:X\to Y$.

Is there a relationship between the degree of $f$ calculated with respect to homology (the induced map on the top homology groups) and the degree of $f$ calculated with respect to cohomology (the induced map on the top cohomology groups)?

Thanks in advance!

share|cite|improve this question
They are the same. – Matt E Nov 11 '10 at 17:52
Yes, they are equal. I'm sure this follows from the universal coefficient theorem. – Robin Chapman Nov 11 '10 at 18:42
I assume this requires integral (co)homology, otherwise you only get a $G$-valued degree. But then what happens with non-orientable manifolds, e.g. $S^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{RP}^2$? – Aaron Mazel-Gee Nov 11 '10 at 20:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.