Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was just reading about polyhedrons and wondered, even though it's an impossible shape, what a 3-hedron is called? I'm really asking what the Greek for '3'. Does it just converge to a triangle?

share|cite|improve this question
"tri" seems like the right prefix, coming from Latin and Greek. – Dylan Moreland Jan 8 '12 at 4:52
That was my first thought, though thought 'tri' was only Latin. – Korgan Rivera Jan 8 '12 at 4:54
A relevant reference: – Jonas Meyer Jan 8 '12 at 4:57
how about three-hedron? lol – Mehrdad Jan 8 '12 at 4:57
@J.D.: No, tetrahedrons have 4 faces, not 3. The question is at face value asking about an object that doesn't exist, but is really asking about a prefix meaning $3$. – Jonas Meyer Jan 8 '12 at 5:14
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Tri- is the greek prefix.

We do use the word trihedron, but to refer to something slightly different: the Frenet-Serret trihedron.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.