Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When we always draw e.g. cylinder on the whiteboard, we get kind of this:

But naturally (assumed axes are perpendicular) when we have z-axis to the top and y-axis to the right, x-axis must point to us (from display) like this:

And when we look from another point so that x-axis is diagonally and z-axis to the top, then y-axis naturally can't be horizontal as on first image, it is a bit rotated.

My lecturer said these are two different kinds of plotting, but could not remember how are they called.

So here comes the question: what are the names of both these methods (natural and alternative plotting) and how to plot correctly in both situations?

share|cite|improve this question
This might be helpful: – ZulfiqarIII Jan 4 '12 at 20:46
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Isometric, Trimetric and Dimetric, these are all standard projections that are used for industrial purposes. ZulfiqarIII's link has all the info.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.