Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What would you call this shape? shape

Not the shape in green, I mean the entire object.

share|cite|improve this question
How about "Figure 1"? :) – Cam McLeman Jan 3 '12 at 20:59
I would call it a section of a cylinder given by two planes, but that is just me. Maybe there is a more specific name. – Eric Naslund Jan 3 '12 at 21:00
A rose. - Only four letters! – Pierre-Yves Gaillard Jan 3 '12 at 21:00
@Pierre-Yves: I think the vertical line on the right is to indicate that the "shape" in question is the cylindrical section (the volume), not the curve that is the union of the two circles. – Cam McLeman Jan 3 '12 at 21:06
Dear @Cam: I think you're right, but I'll leave the comment, because I had fun writing it... Thanks anyway! - I upvoted your comment: LOL – Pierre-Yves Gaillard Jan 3 '12 at 21:14
up vote 6 down vote accepted

It is a cylindrical segment or truncated cylinder or perhaps more specifically a cylindrical wedge.

share|cite|improve this answer

Cylindrical wedge: see

share|cite|improve this answer
This is the special case where $a=0$ and $b=2R$. – Robert Israel Jan 3 '12 at 22:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.