Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I want to change the following integral from Cartesians to Polars:

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty\int_{-\infty}^\infty (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2\,\,dx\,dy$$

in a way such that we are centered at $(a,b)$, so $(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2$,

Is the polar form simply $$\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^\infty r^3 \,\,dr\,d\theta$$?

share|cite|improve this question
Yes. $ $ $ $ $ $ – Did Dec 27 '11 at 9:40
There's a small typo in the equation of the circle: it should be $(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2 = r^2$. Nevertheless you got that right in the integral. – Srivatsan Dec 27 '11 at 9:48
@DidierPiau: Thanks! – Georgie Dec 27 '11 at 10:01
@Srivatsan: Thanks! I have edited it now. :) – Georgie Dec 27 '11 at 10:02
Can this kind of "Is ... correct/true?" question be improved further? – Jack Dec 27 '11 at 13:19
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The answer to your question:


share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.