Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This has to do with web page pagination, let's say there are a lot of pages (e.g. 100) and you're on page 35 and the pagination links at the bottom of the page show:

prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next

So three pages on either side of the page you're on, is there a specific mathematical term to describe a set of numbers like that? So far I'm calling them 'neighbors' but I just wanted to check if there was an official name.


share|cite|improve this question
Interval is often used. Maybe you are interested only in symmetric intervals. – André Nicolas Dec 9 '11 at 0:20
NY Times mentions "location numbers":… – user18325 Dec 9 '11 at 2:46
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The term interval is often used. For the type of interval explicitly mentioned in the post, one could specify interval symmetric about $35$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.