Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a standard adjective to describe a finite group $G$ of composite order which possesses, for each (positive) divisor $d$ of $|G|$, a subgroup of order $d$?

I would guess "Lagrangian" but I can only seem to get one hit in the literature.

Many thanks!


share|cite|improve this question

Such is called a CLT group (it stands for Converse of Lagrange's Theorem).

We do know supersolvable groups $\subset$ CLT groups $\subset$ solvable groups, both strictly.

share|cite|improve this answer
So that's what CLT stands for. I've wondered about that in the past. – Kaj Hansen Aug 9 '14 at 22:40

You are referring to so-called CLT groups. You might find this paper interesting.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.