Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let $ X = \{ (x_i,y_i) \, | \, i \in I\}$ be a set of points (where $I$ is a finite index set).

Does the point $x_0 = \frac{1}{|I|} \sum_{i \in I} (x_i,y_i) $ have any name?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

It is the barycenter of the sets of points.

share|cite|improve this answer

In geometry it's called centroid, geometric center or barycenter.

Please note that depending on context, the latter term may be ambiguous because in physics barycenter has a slightly different meaning: the center of mass (which may or may not be the same as the centroid, depending on the distribution of mass).

share|cite|improve this answer
+1. Centroid is definitely the term I'd use. – Jules Aug 2 '14 at 21:38

It can be called the first moment of the set of points. This notion of 'moments' generalizes a lot. For example, suppose that the points have an associated "weight" $w_i$. Then,

$$p = \sum_i w_i \cdot (x_i, y_i)$$

is the first moment with respect to $w_i$. In your case, $w_i$ is constantly $\frac{1}{|I|}$.

share|cite|improve this answer
I think you mean "first moment" or "first raw moment", rather than "first central moment". The first central moment is zero. – ruakh Aug 3 '14 at 4:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.