Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

$A$ and $B$ are two sets of consecutive integers, $|A|=m \text{ and } |B|=2m$ and sum of the elements of $A$ and $B$ are $2m$ and $m$ respectively. If the difference between the largest numbers of $A$ and $B$ is $99$, how could we find the value of $m$ ?

share|cite|improve this question
It'll be nice if you include what you tried and where you are stuck. – Srivatsan Nov 19 '11 at 3:06
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Let $A=\{k_a, k_a +1,\dots,k_a+m-1\}$ and $B=\{k_b, k_b +1,\dots,k_b+2m-1\}$. Then we have:

$$S_a = m k_a + \frac{(m-1) m}{2}$$

$$S_b = 2m k_b + \frac{(2m-1) 2m}{2}$$

We are given that $S_a = 2m$ and $S_b = m$. Thus,

$$m k_a + \frac{(m-1) m}{2} = 2m$$

$$2m k_b + \frac{(2m-1) 2m}{2} = m$$

We also know that:

$$(k_b+2m-1) -(k_a+m-1) = 99$$ or

$$(k_a+m-1) - (k_b+2m-1) = 99$$

Does the above help?

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.