Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A quick definition clarification: Does the set $\{(x,y):x =0 \,\,\,\,\text{or} \,\,\,\,y=1 \}$ include the element $(0,1)$? (Sorry, English is not my first language, I get confused sometimes... Also sorry that this may not be a very good math question.) Thanks.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Yes. In mathematical contexts, A or B means that A is true and B is false, or B is true and A is false, or that both are true.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks, Florian! – defor Nov 9 '11 at 11:25
'Or' as in 'sugar or milk?' rather than 'tea or coffee?' :) – tom Nov 9 '11 at 11:26
@defor The usage of OR as in this answer (and also in "sugar or milk?") is commonly called an inclusive or. In contrast, the one in "tea or coffee?" is an exclusive or. In mathematical writing, we conventionally use inclusive or's unless otherwise mentioned. – Srivatsan Nov 9 '11 at 11:52

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.