Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to know how to pronounce in english this symbol $\nabla \phi$ It is something phi ... ?

thank you

share|cite|improve this question
del phi? – Daniel R May 12 '14 at 11:51
If you know the context, you can also say "grad phi" (if in the context of gradient), or it could be used in the context of curl or divergence. That's a more "informed" pronunciation that tells you more than just plain notation. – orion May 12 '14 at 11:56
Thanks to @Daniel, now I know what to call oracles in the future! – Hurkyl May 12 '14 at 12:08
Detexify can sometimes help with this kind of question: – Phira May 12 '14 at 12:30
@Phira What an awesome site! That should be stickied somewhere (and probably is already) – Mathias711 May 12 '14 at 12:39

The inversed delta is called Nabla. So Nabla phi. See also

share|cite|improve this answer
thank you very much :) – ALJI Mohamed May 12 '14 at 11:52
Welcome, good question! – Nicky Hekster May 12 '14 at 11:53
Is it also called nabla when dealing with finite differences? I have always called it "nabla" in vector analysis, but I have a doubt for other uses. – Jean-Claude Arbaut May 12 '14 at 14:03
@Jean-Claude Arbaut: nabla is a name of “∇” symbol (cf. equals sign – “=”, times sign – “×”). Del is a name of the operator in vector analysis. The thing with finite differences is not del, but if the symbol is “∇”, then it’s nabla. – Incnis Mrsi Dec 13 '14 at 10:34
@IncnisMrsi This makes sense. In physics, though, we always spelled it "nabla phi", not "del phi", but it may be a french usage. Thank you anyway. – Jean-Claude Arbaut Dec 13 '14 at 12:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.