Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know if I have a polynomial $f(x) = g(x) \cdot h(x) \cdot k(x)$ and $g(x),h(x),k(x)$ are polynomials of degree 2, then the Galois group will be $Z/2Z \times Z/2Z \times Z/2Z$ if the roots of $g,h,k$ are distinct.

But what happens in the case when you have mixed factors... i.e. for example the polynomial

$(x^2 + 1)(x^2 -4x + 7)(x^2 - 2)$

the splitting field would be $Q(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3},i)$ but what would be the Galois group?

share|cite|improve this question
Did there use to be a question here? – Arturo Magidin Nov 3 '11 at 2:03
This is kind of confusing, someone put the question mark somewhere back in there please? – Patrick Da Silva Nov 3 '11 at 4:50

It is easy to see that $x^2-4x+7$ has a root in a field $K$ if and only if $-3$ is a square in $K$ (because $x^2-4x+7=(x-2)^2+3$). Therefor the splitting field of $x^2-4x+7$ is the same as the splitting field of $x^2+3$. Hence we still have Galois group $\mathbb{Z}/2\mathbb{Z}^3$.

The result you quoted can be stated in a more general way: The Galois group of your polynomial will be $\mathbb{Z}/2\mathbb{Z}^3$ not if the roots are distinct (that is not a satisfying condition because eg. $\sqrt{2}$ and $\sqrt{2}+1$ yield the same extension of $\mathbb{Q}$) but if we have a trivial intersection between the splitting field of g and the compositum of the splitting fields of h and k (and analogous for h and k).

I might add that the result you stated is not even true in the current form. The Galois group of $f=(X^2+1)(x^2-2)(x^2+2)$ will only be $\mathbb{Z}/2\mathbb{Z}^2$ because the roots of the third polynomial are already elements of the compositum of the splitting fields of the first two polynomials.

share|cite|improve this answer
Where you write "Galois field" I'd rather see "splitting field" since to me "Galois field" is a synonym for "finite field". – Gerry Myerson Nov 3 '11 at 1:18
What do you mean by section, in the second paragraph? Intersection? – Dylan Moreland Nov 3 '11 at 1:18
Thanks for the comments. I updated my post and I hope it is now clear what I want to say. – Sebastian Schoennenbeck Nov 3 '11 at 8:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.