Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can you find the smallest positive number such that if you shuffle the digits of the number in a particular order, the shuffled number becomes twice the original number.


I understand the answer is $125874 => 251748$

$251748$ is twice the $125874$ and have same digits $1,2,4,5,7$ & $8$

but how to solve this non programmatic ?

share|cite|improve this question
One way is to play fool and answer it in base $2$. The answer becomes $01$, which turns $10$. ;) – user147444 May 5 '14 at 17:14
Or in base 8, where $52_8 = 2\cdot 25_8$. – MJD May 5 '14 at 17:19
It's odd that the answer has the same digits as 142857, which is well-known to have the same property. – MJD May 5 '14 at 17:23

I have a detailed solution to this problem written up on the math.SE blog.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.