Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Given graph $G(V,E)$, how can I formally define function $f\prime$ which takes a node $v \in V$ and returns a multiset?

share|cite|improve this question
A multiset can be defined as a set of couples of the form $(x, n) \in X \times \mathbb{N}$, where $X$ is your base set, and $n$ the multiplicity. A multiset is just a subset of all possible couples, so the return value is a member of the powerset of $X \times \mathbb{N}$. So formally you can write $f : V \rightarrow P(X \times \mathbb{N})$ (where $P(S)$ denotes the powerset of $S$). – Manuel Lafond Apr 8 '14 at 18:02

A multiset is a function $\nu$ defined on some ground set $X$ with values in ${\mathbb N}_{\geq0}$. Such a function assigns each element $x\in X$ its "multiplicity" $\nu(x)$.

When you have a function $f$ that assigns to each node $v\in V$ a multiset $\nu$ on some ground set $X$ I'd suggest to denote the multiset corresponding to the node $v$ by $\nu_v\>$. In this way $\nu_v(x)$ denotes the multiplicity of $x$ foreseen by $f$ for the given node $v$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.