Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is this shape called?


share|cite|improve this question
It probably doesn't have a specific name. – Ragib Zaman Oct 6 '11 at 9:17
I too doubt that it is named, but $1+b+c+\frac{b \log (b)}{\log (2)}+\frac{c \log (c)}{\log (2)}+(1-b-c) (\log (1-b-c)+\log (\log (2)))=0$ looks to be a simpler form. How did you come across this oval? – J. M. Oct 6 '11 at 9:41
It is called an egg. – I. J. Kennedy Mar 4 '12 at 15:18

This would not fit in the comments

I think you may have made an error in your legend: by symmetry it is more likely to be something like $$(1-b-c)\log\left(\frac{1}{1-b-c}\right)/\log(2) + b\log\left(\frac{1}{b}\right)/\log(2) + c\log\left(\frac{1}{c}\right)/\log(2) - b - c - 1 = 0.$$

If so, this would be easier to read as $$(1-b-c)^{1-b-c} b^b c^c 2^{b+c+1} = 1$$ though that seems to have the real solution $b=c=1/4$ rather than your curve, so perhaps it should be something different.

Perhaps you could tell us the origin of your curve and the expression

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.