Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to understand How can an ordered pair be expressed as a set? and I don't know what the big cap/cup notations mean when placed next to an ordered pair: $\bigcap(a,b)$ and $\bigcup(a,b)$.

share|cite|improve this question
It mean union $\cup$ or intersection $\cap$ of sets in $(a,b)$. – Sasha Oct 5 '11 at 18:29
@Sasha So it only makes sense if $a$ and $b$ are sets. :) – Paul Manta Oct 5 '11 at 18:30
The cap is intersection, the cup is union. Remember that the ordered pair $(a,b)$ is just shorthand notation for the set $ \{ \{ a \} , \{a,b\} \}$. – Ragib Zaman Oct 5 '11 at 18:32
In the question you linked to $(a,b)$ represented a set of sets. Then $\cup (a,b)$ denoted the union of those sets. – Sasha Oct 5 '11 at 18:33
up vote 3 down vote accepted

This is actually answered in the linked question, but for clarification, if by definition $(a,b)=\{\{a\},\{a,b\}\}$ then $$\bigcap(a,b) = \bigcap\{\{a\},\{a,b\}\} = \{a\} \cap \{a,b\} = \{a\}$$ and $$\bigcup(a,b) = \bigcup\{\{a\},\{a,b\}\} = \{a\} \cup \{a,b\} = \{a,b\}.$$

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.